Dianne is a contemporary botanical and natural history painter working in Melbourne. Her background is in fine art, teaching and horticulture, this motivates her to portray her subjects scientifically and realistically, with something of an individual and personal interpretation. Dianne has a strong interest in light and colour as well as in the techniques of drawing and watercolour, mediums ideally suited to the portrayal of the beauty and detail of flora and fauna.
The relationship that is forged between the artist’s eye and the living subject motivates Dianne to capture this unique experience in paint. She is interested in the process of interpretation involved in the act of looking and subsequent creation of a work that reflects both knowledge of the subject and the techniques of transformation into that work.
She currently works for the Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, where she has been running workshops and classes since1996. She also regularly conducts Botanical and Natural History painting workshops in regional Victoria and interstate.
Recent Exhibitions include:
2020. The Art of Botanical Illustration. Online Exhibition
2021 WAMA: Nature Nurturing Art. Online Exhibition
2019.Reframing Nature, FRBG, Melbourne
2019..Botanica Art Exhibition: 20th Anniversary, Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney
2019..Flora of Australia at Beechworth Botanica Exhibition, Beechworth, Victoria.
2018.. The Art of Botanical Illustration, FRBG, Melbourne.
2018.. WAMA: ‘Art Meets Nature’. Wingeel, Victoria.
2018..’Flora of Australia: A Botanical Art Worldwide Exhibition’. Ainslie Arts Centre, Braddon, ACT Australia
2017 ‘Romancing the Skull’ Art gallery of Ballarat 2017
2017 ‘ART150’ Victorian College Of the Arts 2017
2017 ‘reFraming Nature’, Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne Biennial Exhibition.
Other Selected Exhibitions
*‘The Art of Botanical Illustraion’, FRBG, Melbourne (Biennial exhibition since 2004)
* 14th International Exhibition of Botanical Art and Illustration, Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, Pittsburgh, USA. 2013
* ‘Capturing Flora: 300 Years of Australian Botanical Art’ Art Gallery of Ballarat 2012 .
* ‘Botanica’, Royal Botanic Gardens,Sydney. (over several years)
* ‘The Eternal Order in Nature ‘ RBGM 2011.
* ‘Crepuscule’, City Galleries Melbourne, Victoria,
* “Nature and Art ”, Woodbine Art Gallery, Malmsbury, Victoria. (several exhibitions)
* ‘Hidden in Plain View, The Forgotten Flora’ (travelling exhibition), Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne. 2008-2009
* ‘The Plasma Soul,’ Nellie Castan Gallery, Sth Yarra, Victoria.
* ’Reframing Darwin: Evolution and Art in Australia’ Ian Potter Museum of Art, Melbourne University. 2009
* ‘BotanicAsia’ Domain House, Melbourne.2009
* Karwarra Botanical Art Exhibition. Victoria. 2007
* ‘The Masters’ Botanical Art Exhibition. RBG Sydney. 2006
* ‘Woodbine Art Exhibition’ Redbox Gallery, Sydney. 2005
* ‘Nature’s Art Revealed’ National Herbarium of Victoria. RBG Melbourne 2003.
* ‘Botanica’ Dickerson Gallery Melbourne 2003
* ‘Botanical Illustration’ Benalla Regional Art Gallery
Dianne has won the Celia Rosser medal for excellence in Botanical Art, four times, in 2002, 2004, 2016 and 2020. Her work can be found in private and public collections both in Australia and overseas.